“I need help, I can’t get it”

Signs+have+been+placed+on+doors+across+campus+advising+students+that+many+teachers+have+closed+their+classrooms+during+lunch%2C+before%2C+and+after+school.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

“I need help, I can’t get it”

Signs have been placed on doors across campus advising students that many teachers have closed their classrooms during lunch, before, and after school.

Alana Luman

Alana Luman

Alana Luman

Michael Spessard, Staff writer

UPDATE (May 8, 2019)- The Lincoln Unified Teachers Association and Lincoln Unified School District have reached a contract and that contract has been passed by both the district board and LUTA members.  Stay here and check our next issue of The Lincolnian in late May for updates.

With signs in hand, dozens of teachers at Lincoln Unified’s Lincoln High School, took to the sidewalks picketing and protesting amid stalled contract negotiations between LUSD and Lincoln Unified Teachers Association last Wednesday.  The picketing is only a small part of the demonstrations by teachers as a result of the impasse.

Last week, teachers began to protest against the district for more pay by working bell to bell. The teachers closed their classrooms at lunch and left as soon as their day was over. This is the newest form of protest that teachers are using in order to get a raise and raise their healthcare cap. Though this is mainly about teachers, the students also have a huge part to play in this as they now may not be able to work at lunch and be tutored.

Rory O’Regan, a junior,  said that ”if I need help, I can’t get it, and I can’t help what’s going on with the district… I can’t get help for harder classes”, he went on to say “They deserve more money for sure, but that shouldn’t get in the way of their responsibilities to their students”.

Many feel this way, it’s hard when you want your teachers to have higher pay, but at the same time its hurting your grades and making it harder to turn in your work.

Many students are fully on the side of the teachers, Nadia Urbina, a senior, said that she thinks “that’s fair, they deserve higher pay”.

No one knows how long this will continue, but union members say that these teachers will continue until they achieve their goal.

O’Regan’s words are echoed by many other Lincoln students.  The classroom closures have posed as an inconvenience to some.  Many teachers have required students to schedule meetings for what once were regular walk- ins.  

On the contrary,  many students are fully on the side of the teachers, Nadia Urbina, a senior, said that she thinks “that’s fair, they deserve higher pay”.