The Lincolnian

Guest View: Put a stop to human trafficking

Letter to the editor

Meybis Gonzalez

The following is a letter to the editor.  Lincoln students and staff members are encouraged to submit their letters to the editor to [email protected]  Your letter may be published online or in our monthly paper publication.  Please abstain from using vulgar language.  We may edit your letter for errors and length.  Letters posted here do not represent the views of The Lincolnian or Lincoln Unified School District.

My name is Meybis Gonzalez and I’m a senior. I’m writing you this letter to bring awareness to Human Trafficking, not just in the U.S but in the whole world.

The gender being targeted the most are women, with 71% being trafficked right now and only 21% being men. 25% are kids under the age of 18, which is about 25 million kids. Some people, especially rich people don’t really care about this problem because there’s a big chance they won’t experience it. Since trafficking mostly affects people in poverty because some families just don’t have enough money to get their loved one back.

Human trafficking brings about $99 billion in profit, that’s why its so famous and taking away someones freedom shouldn’t be worth money. Just last year eight girls were rescued in Stockton after they were being trafficked. They were 14 to 17 years old. Sadly not a lot of people know that and believe that this can’t happen in our little city, and it has happened more than once.

To put a stop to this we have to report it whenever we see it happening, educate people on what human trafficking is, and how to notice the signs. You can also volunteer or donate money to anti trafficking efforts in your community. If you don’t have money to donate maybe donate food, water, or clothing to survivors because usually after this traumatic experience, it might be hard for them to get back on their feet. People have to join together to put a stop to this because one day it could be your loved one affected by this.