Debate continues over Lincoln’s ASB affiliation

Trinh Vo, Staff Writer

Differences of student-led organizations come to terms with affiliation with ASB. Two separate student-run, non-profit organizations by the names of “CASC” (California Association of Student Councils) and “CASL” (California Association of Student Leaders) come together to discuss the current status of Lincoln High’s ASB. Two students on campus, both from one organization, discussed the contrasts that they acquire. 

Elijah Tsai, junior, is the president for region five of the California Association of Student Councils. CASC is solely a student leadership organization that contains two parts, making up the alignment. The fundamental counterpart is the training of basic leadership skills.

“It’s a broad and general sense in how to run meetings and specific models that can be used not just in ASB but in any form of organization and body trying to get work done,” Tsai said.

CASC offers leadership training, such how to run meetings, set up a project, put together thoughts and ideas coherently that are overall “consensus based,” therefore everyone’s voice is heard, said Tsai.
The second part of CASC entails the opportunities that students are granted to apply those skills in civic engagement. “Throughout the year, there are local in-year conferences to create bills or policy reforms to present to the Board of Education or the Senate Assembly Committee on Education,” Tsai said.

These conferences are a way for the students of California to be able to make change in their own education system. CASC is affiliated with many schools’s ASB, but not Lincoln High. 

Dylan Loth, a junior as well, serves on the state board for the California Association of Student Leaders as the Media Director. CASL is “a non profit student-led that empowers student leaders by providing them with the necessary resources to create a positive campus culture,” Loth said. Even though there is commotion between the two organizations, Lincoln’s ASB has no current affiliation with CASL they have had in the past. An affiliation with CASL could improve campus culture, Loth said, but CASC also has its aspects of student leadership and advocacy that can make impactful changes to the school. 

Tucker Waters, ASB Vice President of Lincoln, says the current nature of ASB is busy with the focus being to fill any downtime. Everyone is currently working together efficiently to their best ability for the most successful outcome in homecoming and other future events. ASB is working very well as of right now, but there is always room for improvement in terms of ideas, scheduling and teamwork, Waters said. 

“I 100% think without a doubt that ASB would improve siding with a larger leadership organization to allow us to share ideas with other schools and learn better team management,” Waters said.

Organizations all have their individual objectives and purposes, but the current goal for Lincoln’s ASB is to look more towards student representation on campus, Loth said.