New Coach leading to New Successes?

Tristan Aings, Staff Writer

Coming into the 2019-2020 boys basketball season, plenty of uncertainty was in the air with Lincoln High School. Losing 12 seniors and a head coach last year came with immense changes, and a total overhaul of the whole program.

With the new hire of a coach, Anthony Matthews, the program started the season off strong with a 13-1 record in pre-season play. In addition, they traveled down to play in the Clovis Elks Tournament over Christmas break and won the competition going 4-0. Needless to say, Coach Matthews is leading on the team very well.

Now that league competition is in full swing, with a 4-1 record, the Trojans look to be one of the top contenders to win league play and successfully make the playoffs this year, if not taking the entire competition as a win for the books.

“This year we have all bought into the new system coach brought in, everyone trusts each other and our record speaks for itself,” said Guard D.J. Balanon.

“It has been exciting being able to travel out of town where we have beat some great teams this year.”

Lincoln athletes prove to show strong companionship amongst their teams and with their coaches, not only loving the game, but also loving the people

What is even more exciting is that the Trojans have a young core, which means this success will continue in the following seasons. The Trojans haven’t beaten St Marys since 2018 and look to put a win in the history books again very soon.