‘I am proud to be a Trojan’

New principal excited to start school year at Lincoln

September 12, 2018

As the nearly 3,000 students of Lincoln High School returned to classes for the 2018-2019 school year, new principal Lori Green was “happy and smiling” starting her job, guiding the largest high school in San Joaquin County.  “I have been happy and smiling everyday since I found out I got the job.” said Green after her second month as principal. “I have a longstanding relationship with Lincoln High School. I taught here for 25 years.”

Green previously worked as a math chairperson for Lincoln High then as a district math coach. During that time, she assisted in writing the charter documents for a science, technology, engineering, and mathematics charter school in Lincoln Unified, now known as John McCandless.

The modernly designed school brought the district visitors and attention.  Green says it became a model for other schools, something she hopes to carry on at Lincoln, “We were just a regular elementary school and because of the decisions we made we were very successful” said Green, “That’s always been my goal, to influence the greater education communities.”

Her role change in Lincoln Unified came during a summer of tumultuous turnarounds as superintendent, Tom Uslan retired, and the Lincoln High Athletic Director also left the school.  In spite of the short notice that the former principal, Terry Asplund, would resign in the summer to work for the school district elsewhere, Green believes that she is ready, “I feel very comfortable because I could just get back to work.” said Green.

Green remarks that her family has deep roots at Lincoln.  She said that it is where her husband and children have graduated from “We are very connected as a family here so I’m just thrilled to be back and am fortunate that I was here before so I speak the language of Lincoln. It doesn’t feel new to me, it feels like I’m coming back home,” said Green.  

Being one of the multiple principals in Lincoln High School’s 64 years, Lori Green has big shoes to fill, and many ways left to improve the school, “My two goals as an educator always have be rigor and joy, which to me, means work hard, play hard,” said Green “I just want to see all of our  teachers continue to offer all of the great opportunities that are offered to kids…it would be my dream if every single student just loved coming to school every day and felt strongly connected in whatever way works for them that this is my school.”