The Lincolnian

Chrome books roll out campus wide

Some view laptops as 'more of a distraction than a tool'

Halli Shea, freshman, works on homework during study hall in the End Zone. Chrome books rolled out campus wide to all students this year.

Gabriel Porras

Gabriel Porras

Katy NIelsen, Staff Writer

There are different changes for this school year, one of those changes involving the chromebooks. This school year of 2018 – 2019 is the first year that all freshman, sophomore, junior and seniors got a chromebook.

In previous years not everyone had a chromebook. In the school year of 2016 – 2017 only freshman had chromebooks and in the school year of 2017 – 2018 only freshman and sophmores had chromebooks. Students were able to check out a chromebook at orientation and in the beginning of the year at the textbook room.

To be able to check out a chromebook students needed to have the chromebook user agreement signed that is located on the Lincoln High School website and your school id. When you check out a chromebook it comes with a chromebook charger and a case for the chromebook.

It seems like that technology is going to be used more this year since all of the students checked out chromebooks this year. Many students have different views and thoughts about having a chromebook that they checkout for the year and bring to their classes this year.

After asking two female seniors Hannah and Betelhem about checking out chromebooks that you carry with you for the whole school year, Betelhem said, that she did not mind because she is already carrying a lot, while Hannah said that, that it seemed more of a distraction than a tool.

Asking if they think we are using the chromebooks more this year then in the previous school years Betelhem  responded with, “Yes we are” while Hannah said, “Yes way more”. After asking what they like about the chromebooks Betelhem said that using the chromebooks to get homework done, and Hannah responded with it is easy to search up stuff on the chromebook.

What they dislike about the chromebooks Betelhem said, “When you forget your chromebook and you need it in class” while Hannah replied with, “That it is more of a distraction than a tool”. Curious if they prefer using the chromebooks in class or not and why they prefer using a chromebook, Betelhem responded with, that she preferred to use it in class to work on homework, while Hannah replied with, “No because it is a distraction”.

After asking if they found it easier to use chromebooks or phones for classwork in class Betelhem had replied with, “Yes they are.” and Hannah said that, “Yes because phones have a smaller screen”. Betelhem and Hannah had similar, but also different thoughts about having chromebooks.