The Lincolnian

California wildfires concern students

Administration takes steps to inform P.E. teachers if air quality is too poor for outdoor activities

Yosemite's small fire station, located in the middle of Yosemite Valley. Students have expressed concern about air quality following a series of devastating California wildfires this summer.

Rennett Stowe, Wikimedia Commons

Rennett Stowe, Wikimedia Commons

Karinna Carillo, Staff Writer

The fires of California was one of the biggest stories of the summer. With most of the fires contained, we’re still left with one burning question: are the remaining fires hurting the students of Lincoln High?

The clear, summer skies weren’t so clear in the past months. The fires that have damaged acres of land in California caused the sky to become very polluted. The skies almost looked overcast a majority of the summer

This is only the beginning of fire season. Popular national parks, such as Yosemite Valley, were closed down temporarily due to smoke impacts and firefighting operations.

Firefighters are currently battling a fire in Mendocino, CA. This is the closest fire to Lincoln High. This fire began on July 27 and has burned through thousands of acres of land ever since. With Mendocino only being 200 miles away from us, you would think that we are in danger

PE teacher and basketball coach, Chris Roemer, mentioned how the administration will let staff know if it is unsafe to let the students out. The skies have been clear the last couple of weeks, so students have been let out for PE.

One student seemed very concerned about their safety. They exclaimed how scared they were and how it, “doesn’t make sense to go out for PE”. Another student did not seem to care too much about the air quality. They said, “it doesn’t matter that much. We do PE inside anyways.” This leaves us to wonder whether students are comfortable doing PE outside or not.

With the fire containment level rising, students should be able to go out for PE and enjoying other outdoor activities outside of school. Firefighters continue to battle other fires throughout California. Thanks to them, we are able to enjoy the next couple of months without worrying about the air quality.