The Lincolnian

District officials offer reassurance in light of robberies

Gabriel Porras, Editor in Chief

The streets surrounding Lincoln High School, which are covered in homes, have always seemed quiet, peaceful, and safe.  A  string of robberies in just a matter of months, however, now have students in Lincoln Unified School District frightened.  It remains unclear whether the first two robberies were involving Lincoln High students, but the victims did attend a school in Lincoln Unified.  

Superintendent, Kelly Dextraze says that steps are being taken to prevent robberies in the future, “We have increased the presence of our safety officers in the vicinity of our schools after dismissal.  We continue to work with law enforcement regarding these issues,” said Dextraze.

While district officials hope that no more robberies will occur, they say that there are many ways students can deter potential robberies. “Students should walk in groups whenever possible.  They should walk by way of busier streets whenever possible,” said Dextraze, “Students should not walk with their phones out or while talking, texting, listening to music or reading on their phones which causes them to be distracted.”

Another major recommendation is reporting suspicious activity.  “Students should be observant of their surroundings when they are walking and should always report anything suspicious to a trusted adult,” said Dextraze. “Should they witness or be a victim of a similar incident, they should contact law enforcement immediately upon reaching a safe location.”   

The most recent data from the National Center for Education Statistics shows that 38.7% of public schools in the 2015-16 school year reported thefts.  The same organization found that only 3% of students in that same year were afraid of attack or harm at school.

“Student safety is our number one priority.  We want to know of any incidents in which students feel unsafe,” said Dextraze,  “There are many adults at all of our school sites available with whom students can share their concerns.”