Power outage cancels classes

Gabriel Porras, Editor in Chief

When students and staff found out about power being knocked out to the campus of Lincoln High School, many of them felt relieved.  Monday was poised to be a regular one for students at Lincoln High School until a message went out at 6:35 a.m.

“Lincoln High School is currently without power and cannot confirm when the outage will be corrected.” said the statement “As a result, there will be no school today.  Please keep your student home.”

While classes are expected to continue on Tuesday, the cancelation was not an issue for senior Abigail Ming.  “I feel relieved that the power is out.” Said Ming, “I am planning to catch up on sleep”

A strong storm blew through Stockton Sunday night knocking out power for over 10,000 Stockton residents at one time.  Wind gusts peaked 40 miles per hour and rain fell all day and night. As the sun rose in the morning, damage from the storm was evident.  Entire trees were knocked down, streets saw puddling, and in some cases flooding.

According to Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E), Lincoln first lost power shortly before 7:30 p.m.  It is not known exactly what knocked out power to the campus as well as 334 other nearby structures, but power was still out twelve hours later.  

The last time that Lincoln saw an outage that canceled classes was in January of 2019.  At the time, students and staff, mostly, planned on spending the day relaxing. While solar panels have been placed around Lincoln High, none of them currently power the campus.  

On social media, students voiced their shock and, in some cases, excitement for one extra day off.  “It was surprising” said Ming. Source: PG&E

Stay here and follow our Twitter account at @Lhslincolnian for updates.