New core lit books offered

Back to Article
Back to Article

New core lit books offered

A library staffer puts away some of the new literature books offered by Lincoln.

Gabriel Porras, Editor in Chief

Each year means new English classes for Lincoln High School students.  With those classes also comes a slew of novels that students are required to read.

Many of the books are well known by students and anticipated, whether teens like the novels or not.  However now, Lincoln High School has rolled out new options for teachers to choose from.

“It’s exciting for my students to have a boost to our school’s collection of diverse authors, literature addressing contemporary situations and relevant non-fiction titles,” said Fran Bott, English teacher. “I’m looking forward to diving into the new books, as well!”

The over 800 novels, purchased for $17,898 by the Lincoln Unified School District.  Among the new titles, Poet X, Glass Castle: A Memoir, and Out of Darkness.

“I think it is been a long time coming for us to update our core text list with more modern titles written by diverse authors and about diverse characters,” said Rosalie Sauceda, English teacher.  “Representation in literature is incredibly important to our students and always has been.”

While the new novels will not be available on school library shelves, teachers can choose to use them as “core literature novels”.  The books were purchased during November and December.

There are enough of each book for a full class set.

“Being exposed to experiences from culturally diverse perspectives opened my eyes to more possibilities for myself and my community and has truly made me a more empathetic person.” said Sauceda.