Are Students Comfortable Talking about Mental Health at School?

STOCKTON: Emotional support should be a top priority for high school students all across the globe. The term “emotional support” demonstrates how educators support students in establishing good relationships, enjoying their studies, feeling at ease in the classroom, and achieving appropriate levels of independence. Some may not know but there are benefits that come from this. This type of connection lessens our psychological discomfort during challenging conditions. A few studies have demonstrated a connection between elevated emotional support and low levels of anxiety and depression. Your physical and mental health may be negatively impacted by every day, continuous stress, which emotional support can help you manage and a  great place to start is on school campuses. 

Lincoln High students were asked if there are any ways Lincoln can better the support system from teachers and staff. A student who wished to stay anonymous said, “Lincoln can make their counselors and staff more available because most times you try to schedule some type of meeting with them they don’t get back to you or they’re too busy”.  School counselors are important because most students look to them for guidance and help with life choices. By addressing students’ academic, career, and social development needs and taking into account the fact that students learn in a variety of ways, they should offer equal and beneficial services.

One way to help students know they’re supported is to let them know that you, as an individual, understand their struggles by sharing your own. Another factor in this mission is comfortability. Staff can help on campus by making the classroom a secure environment. Inform students that you value their willingness to take risks, ask thoughtful questions, and share ideas.  By implementing these ideas, staff members can provide a supportive and respectful atmosphere in the classroom.