The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
Samuel HelmsApril 30, 2024

Stockton: Former NFL superstar and accused murderer OJ Simpson died this past Wednesday, April 10, 2024.  His death sparked many mixed emotions...

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Spreading Awareness about Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer Awareness Month

STOCKTON The month of October recognizes Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  It was founded by the American Cancer Society and the Imperial Chemical Industries Pharmaceuticals in October 1985.  Throughout Pink October, many breast cancer organizations spread awareness and raise funds to support research of this prevalent cancer.  

Cancer forms when a mutated cell multiplies uncontrollably and forms a lump of cells, otherwise known as a tumor. While some lumps on the breasts can be non life-threatening, others may be fatal. Benign tumors are noncancerous and do not spread to other parts of the body, but malignant tumors do.  It is recommended that any apparent lumps on the breast should be checked out to determine whether the tumor is benign or malignant.

Students can express their passion and support about breast cancer awareness through a club at school called the Pink Ladies Club.  Gabriela Sperison, a current junior, serves as the president for the 2023-2024 academic year.  I was able to conduct an online interview with Gabriela to gain further insight about the Pink Ladies.  “We try to educate, spread awareness, fundraise, and donate to breast cancer research platforms and different foundations and organizations,” Gabriela describes.  “Every year, we partake in the Homecoming Carnival, where we [sell] cotton candy and donate the majority of our profits.”  She adds, “in years past, students have volunteered to shave their head in front of the school and donate their hair to breast cancer societies.”  Prior to the pandemic, the club has participated in “triathlons, walkathons, and races to help fundraise money for breast cancer.”  Recently on October 30th, the Pink Ladies collaborated with the American Cancer Society Club to host a “Pink Out” spirit day to raise awareness school-wide. 

Breast cancer is known to commonly affect women, but men can also be affected.  Although they have a lower risk of developing the disease, they have breast tissue just like women which makes it possible for them to develop the cancer too.  According to Gabriela, “Every year, 2,100 men are diagnosed with breast cancer alongside 240,000 women in the United States.  Getting a mammogram every two to five years (age depending), can cut your chances of developing breast cancer by nearly half.”

If you are interested in joining Pink Ladies, you can join their Remind by texting “@39f9f3c” to “81010” and following their Instagram @lhspinkladies2324.  Everyone is welcome to join, with Gabriela emphasizing that they also love their Pink Men.