The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
Samuel HelmsApril 30, 2024

Stockton: Former NFL superstar and accused murderer OJ Simpson died this past Wednesday, April 10, 2024.  His death sparked many mixed emotions...

March Madness and the Role it has Played on the Uprise in Women’s Basketball 

The star college athletes and how they are changing the future for women’s basketball

Stockton- This past year, women’s basketball has seen a spike in viewership like never before.  In the finals, the University of South Carolina beat the University of Iowa, which obtained 18.9 million viewers who tuned in to watch.  This is a rating 89% higher than last year’s finals, and has also beaten out boys basketball which achieved a viewership of 14.8 million this year.  Much of this new popularity can be attributed to the rising women’s college stars.  While  most notably is star point guard Caitlin Clark, many other names are coming to fame and bringing the world of women’s basketball with it. 

For many, these past Final Four games have been a cultural reset which is changing the way our society feels about women’s sports.  According to the global company Deloitte, women’s elite sports are projected to generate more than $1 billion in global revenue this year, which would be the first time ever, and obtain a staggering 300% increase in comparison to three years ago. Companies such as GroupM, which is a global media buying agency, have increased their yearly advertisement investment by double and are working with brands such as Adidas, Google, Universal Pictures, and much more.  The surge from March Madness is just one of many key factors which has led to the explosion in the world of women’s basketball.

Another vital role has been the rise of college athletes and the exposure they are receiving.  With the new world of N.I.L deals in college basketball, athletes are increasing in popularity.  When it comes to women’s basketball, Caitlin Clark has become a must-watch player. With her outstanding scoring ability and incredible shooting range, she has taken over the world of basketball.  Ticket prices for her games have increased by 200% since last year, with fans traveling all over the country to watch her play.  Also, according to On3, a site that tracks N.I.L deals, her sponsorship deals are projected to be at a value of $3 million, which is more than most WNBA players.  With a bright future ahead of her, she will begin her rookie season with the Chicago Sky. Caitlin captivates the attention of all with her numerous broken records, superstar effect, and substantial media presence.  

This year’s NCAA March Madness has led to a new era of basketball. Carey Associate Professor Christina DePasquale of Johns Hopkins Business School states, “The atmosphere has increased, rivaled, and perhaps surpassed the excitement for this year’s men’s tournament so much that it might have encouraged more and more people to tune in and see what the buzz is about.” DePasquale expects a continued growth in women’s basketball and big shifts to come in the business side. Deals such as the NCAA’s television contract with ESPN, which is an eight- year deal for $920 million and included sports such as baseball and lacrosse, could soon see a change and a bigger contract in the future. Other players such as Angel Reese, Cameron Brink, and Paige Bueckers have all added to the growing popularity of this sport. With the beginning of a new era coming upon us, the future of women’s basketball is on the rise, and it has all started with women’s college basketball and the key role it plays.