The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Image depicting the amount of fentanyl needed for a lethal reaction as compared to the size of a penny
Fentanyl: The drug epidemic sweeping the nation
Zachary NicholsMarch 28, 2024

Is the US still at war with drugs, Or have we already lost?  Zachary Nichols - Staff Writer  Date: March 16, 2024  STOCKTON-...

Texas occupies the border, puts US relations at risk

As illegal immigration increases, Texas takes a stand

SOUTHERN BORDER – Hundreds of refugees from all around the world come to the border with Mexico and the United States hoping that they will be allowed to cross the border and make a change in their life, but recently, due to an influx of migrants, the border has been closed off. Despite this, hundreds still continue to head to the border. Texas has recently become more restless, saying that the federal government and the US Border Patrol are not doing enough to stop the flow of illegal migrants.
Texas has decided to take matters into their own hands by taking control over a portion of the border where many migrants have been known to cross at. The Texas National Guard has put up razor wire and patrols to stop migrants from coming across the border but also to keep Border Patrol out. The US Border Patrol has chosen to pack up their things and leave the area.
Texas is facing backlash from the federal government and these threats may continue. President Biden sent Texas a cease and desist letter to try and stop their activities, but it does not seem that it has done anything. Biden says he will refer the case to the Justice Department if Texas Governor Greg Abbot does not recall the national guard. Supreme Court justices voted 5-4 in favor of the federal government allowing the US Border Patrol to cut down any razor wire fence that they come across. A spokesperson for the White House said that Texas should stop their political stunts and give control back to the federal government, so agents could do their jobs and not have razored wire hazards.
Republican governors from other states have come out in support of Texas governor Greg Abbot and some states like Florida are sending their own national guard members to help with border enforcement.
This is not the first time Texas has done their own border security though. Texas has assisted the US Border Patrol using the national guard and have detained over 10,000 migrants already. Illegal crossers are often detained and held by Texas before they are then handed off to US Border Patrol for processing and deportation. In September, Texas police officers entered Fronton Island on the US/Mexico border. The island was being used more by cartels and human smugglers to get migrants across the border. The federal government fears that these actions may violate treaties made with Mexico and has advised them to leave the island.
The Texas National Guard has remained in this area and the US Border Patrol continues to try and regain control and access to the area.