The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
Samuel HelmsApril 30, 2024

Stockton: Former NFL superstar and accused murderer OJ Simpson died this past Wednesday, April 10, 2024.  His death sparked many mixed emotions...

A Little History Behind Valentine’s Day With A Twist of Galentine’s

The Story Behind Valentine’s Day And A List Of Things To Do For Galentine’s day
A Little History Behind Valentine’s Day With A Twist of Galentines

STOCKTON- Every year valentine’s day is celebrated being a day to give or receive typically chocolates, roses, and love notes. Which brings many people joy and gives a day for a special romantic occasion. But this holiday didn’t just appear out of nowhere, no holiday does. Valentine’s day has a history and it’s not the lovey dovey kind you would think. In fact it may seem like a brutal history if anything. In case you didn’t know this day was named after a Saint called Valentine therefore called St. Valentine.

That’s not all though he was thought to be a Roman priest that performed secret weddings in the third century even when they weren’t approved by society. He is said to have healed the daughter of the noble who imprisoned him. This is what made him famous causing him to influence this noble’s household into converting to Christianity. Which St. Valentine was a part of. Despite his acts of love and kindness he had a sad fate that contained torture and his head being decapitated. Ironically this happened on February 14th which is said to be the day of love. Before he died he sent a girl a note that contained the words “Your Valentine” in it. This is said to be how Valentine’s came about and why it is celebrated.

There are many stories about this history that contain multiple Valentine priests or bishops but this is the most common one. Even though the history of this holiday is a little gruesome it shouldn’t discourage you from doing something special on this lovely day. Speaking of doing something special, many women started doing Galentine’s day which is officially observed on February 13th. However women don’t necessarily all celebrate it on that specific day. If you don’t have a special date on Valentine’s day you could always hang out with your gal friends and celebrate your friendship, afterall that’s what Galentine’s is about. In fact, here are some ideas for a Galentine’s day!
Spa Day: Who doesn’t love a nice day that includes face masks and being pampered? This can cause you to go out or stay in, your choice. Hopefully you have some spas around you or if you don’t want to go out there are many pampering items on amazon. Just make sure to be prepared if you are the spa day host. Either way this is a nice idea if your group is looking for a nice relaxing day while still spending time with each other.
Picnic Date: A picnic is always a nice way of getting together when it comes to multiple occasions. Some good locations are in a park, possibly a beach. But for this date it’s wherever your heart desires. Everyone can bring food whether it’s some sweet valentine treats or substantial food to indulge in. This is a fun idea if you’re looking to enjoy a peaceful yet outdoorsy adventure. One suggestion though: don’t go out on a picnic late unless you bring the bug spray.
Galentine Sleepover: Sleepovers are always fun and can always reunite the group. This is an idea if your group doesn’t want to go out and would rather stay home gossiping or watching movies. For this sleepover your group could get matching valentine’s pajamas and possibly take pictures whether your house is decked out or not. Your group can bring snacks and you guys can indulge in a movie with some Valentine’s Day sweets.
Hearts Or Crafts: Arts and crafts allow you to talk while also focusing on something so no one gets bored. Since it’s Valentine’s day though your group should find Valentine crafts to make or do. This could include painting wooden hearts, making cute pop up cards, painting candles with candles, and etc. There are so many arts and crafts out there for this special holiday. Your group could create your own or go to a store and buy them for example, the target would have hearts or pottery you could decorate. This is also a fun stay at home and spend more time together.
Brunch: This is another popular idea if your group is looking to go out and possibly get dressed up. Choosing the place is the most important part. Everyone is different. Your group may prefer fancy, casual, or a little bit of both. Make sure you know that part. But this is a good opportunity for your group to go out and have food while spending time together celebrating your beautiful friendship.
Cooking Classes: These classes could get your group out of the house or be done virtually. Cooking classes are always a fun idea whether you know how to cook or not. There are many cooking classes out there that you can book for your group online. If your group hates cooking though then this might not be the best idea for you.
Take A Hike: If you would like to do something active and adventurous this might be a good idea for your group. A hike is a great way to relax and connect with not only nature but also your friends. If you want to get your daily walk in this is a perfect way or day to do it. Take your group to a trail or a safe place to hike and spend a few hours hiking.

Here are just a few fun ideas that you and your group can do on Galentine’s day. If you don’t find these interesting there are a ton more out there don’t be afraid to look. But don’t forget Valentine’s day is inevitably about love so indulge in the chocolate and have a nice day with your significant other or friends.