The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
LHS Teachers Retiring
LHS Teachers Retiring
Michelle BekhtelMay 24, 2024

STOCKTON- The 2024 school year is coming to an end, and with this short time left we must take time to recognize teachers that have chosen to...

Senior Ditch Day is More Than Just “Ditching”

The upcoming tradition of senior ditch day, and its cultural significance
Old Edition of The Lincolnian

Graduation is right around the corner, which marks the start of senior activities. In the month of April, seniors at Lincoln High anticipate senior ditch day. Skip day is a tradition in schools where the senior class doesn’t attend a day of school. They either stay home, or go out and do something fun with friends. This tradition enables students to have a day off from life, and have fun. Considering the four years of hardship and academic stress that seniors have undergone, senior ditch day is well deserved amongst the class of 2024.

At Lincoln High School, the beach is the hotspot for seniors where many enjoy a fun and relaxing day out in the sun. Over the years, Santa Cruz has been a popular destination for eager upperclassmen, along with other coastal towns like Aptos and Carmel. These places pose as a perfect place to get away from the hustle and bustle of school, and get out in the sun. Having undergone months of cold and rainy weather, most of us can use a little bit of sun (especially before prom)! 

I, along with other seniors, understand the feeling of college rejections, senioritis, and preparing for life after high school. It’s all too real, especially when faced with purchasing cap and gowns, taking senior pictures, Decision Day, searching for the perfect prom dress, and so much more. Without a doubt, the month of April is filled with various emotions for many seniors, considering there is so much going on in our lives. And at the same time, the daunting idea of graduation remains in the back of our minds. Many students anticipate graduation, yet the idea of growing up is scary. Most of us have never lived away from our families, and the idea of attending college away from our loved ones is incredibly stressful. Needless to say, senior ditch day will enable many of us to relax, after weeks, and even months, of emotional turmoil. 

In the 1980s, the box office hit film “Ferris Bueller’s Off” was a catalyst for senior skip days across the nation, which has become an annual tradition in current times. In the film, the famous quote “Life moves pretty fast. You don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it”, pretty much sums up senior ditch day. This day gives students the opportunity to get away from the stimulation and business of life, and reflect on their time as a senior.