The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
Samuel HelmsApril 30, 2024

Stockton: Former NFL superstar and accused murderer OJ Simpson died this past Wednesday, April 10, 2024.  His death sparked many mixed emotions...

Thanksgiving Foods

What is your favorite food to eat?

Thanksgiving celebrates the harvest and other blessings of the past year. Americans believed that their Thanksgiving is modeled on the 1612 harvest feast shared by the Pilgrims of Plymouth and the Wampanaoag people. Thanksgiving foods typically include turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberries, and pumpkin pie. 

People have different traditions of how they celebrate Thanksgiving. My family celebrates Thanksgiving by making turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, stuffing, macaroni and cheese, scallops, cornbread, and green bean casserole. My least favorite Thanksgiving food is stuffing because it tastes plain to me. My most favorite Thanksgiving food would be ham because turkey tastes too dry for me. I like most Thanksgiving foods but, you will never be able to see me eat stuffing. 

A student I interviewed was my cousin Jade. She said that she likes macaroni and cheese because she’s kind of a picky eater. She also said that she likes ham but only if it is honey ham. She also says that she dislikes green bean casserole because she doesn’t like vegetables and isn’t a fan of the sauce that is put with the vegetables. Overall, she says that Thanksgiving isn’t her favorite holiday but she likes the food. 

As a kid, Thanksgiving may have seemed like a great holiday to spend with family and friends but as you grow up, you’ll realize that it isn’t as family friendly as they make it out to be. The Native Americans taught the colonists who were struggling to survive in what the Europeans  called the New World. Then, everyone came together to celebrate with a feast in 1612. Wampanoag warriors had to avenge the Ponkapoag interpreter and the warriors responded with raids, and the New England Confederation of colonies declared war in 1675. There has been some discussion about how the holiday promotes US violence and cruelty against Native Americans, giving it names like  In conclusion, Thanksgiving wasn’t all peaceful, and you should know how the holiday came to be by knowing the background of it. 

Although Thanksgiving is not as family-friendly as it seems, you should still treat it as any holiday through traditions, being with family, and most importantly the foods. Thanksgiving food is delicious and for my family, we would be eating food for a week straight. On Thanksgiving, people gather together to share a meal and talk about things they are grateful for. I am thankful for my family and friends because they are people I count on; they make me happy, and I just love my friends and family. After that, you can eat anything on the table. There is a variety of foods and even if you are a picky eater, there will at least be something that you are willing to eat!