The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
Samuel HelmsApril 30, 2024

Stockton: Former NFL superstar and accused murderer OJ Simpson died this past Wednesday, April 10, 2024.  His death sparked many mixed emotions...

OJ Simpson Dead at 76

A look at the infamous legacy of a star football player turned murderer

Stockton: Former NFL superstar and accused murderer OJ Simpson died this past Wednesday, April 10, 2024.  His death sparked many mixed emotions among the public.  Some were sad, some were happy, and some really didn’t know how to feel.  A lot of people in the world today believe that OJ Simpson was guilty of the murder of Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman.  Even though people think that he did this, he was still a very famous person before this.  The whole situation around the murder trial served as a core memory for people who lived during that time.  OJ’s death sort of marks the ‘end of an era’ for those people.

According to the family of Simpson, “He was surrounded by his children and grandchildren…During this time of transition, his family asks that you please respect their wishes for privacy and grace.”  There had been rumors online that Simpson was diagnosed with prostate cancer and was now in hospice care while undergoing chemo.  OJ responded to these rumors with a video posted on X (formerly known as Twitter).  In the video he says “Hospice? What hospice?”  Although, he did not mention him having prostate cancer.  

Simpson played 11 seasons in the NFL, most notably for the Buffalo Bills, building himself a very respectable Hall of Fame career.  However, this all went up in flames when the bodies of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman were found slain outside of her home.  When police officers went to his house to question him, officers found blood on the car belonging to OJ and the house was vacant.  After a few days, police officially charged OJ Simpson with the murders of both victims.  These charges resulted in the infamous white Bronco car chase synonymous with the case.  

The trial that followed was one of the most famous and broadcasted trials in the History of video and television.  He was famously acquitted of both murders after the defense accused the LAPD of corruption and racism during the trial, saying that the police were quick to judge that OJ was the prime suspect.  This was to capitalize on the situation at the time of race and the LAPD in Los Angeles.  Rodney King, a black man, was just recently beaten by the LAPD at the time.  Protests followed quickly after defending the man, saying that he was beaten unfairly and only due to the color of his skin.  OJ’s defense capitalized on that as one of the main reasons why he was acquitted. 

To wrap it up, on a phone call with NBC news, Fred Goldman, the father of slain Ron Goldman, described OJ’s death as “no great loss” and “a further reminder that Ron is gone.” NBC Sports broadcaster Bob Costas described the death of OJ by saying that he left behind “a complicated legacy.”