The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Image depicting the amount of fentanyl needed for a lethal reaction as compared to the size of a penny
Fentanyl: The drug epidemic sweeping the nation
Zachary NicholsMarch 28, 2024

Is the US still at war with drugs, Or have we already lost?  Zachary Nichols - Staff Writer  Date: March 16, 2024  STOCKTON-...

Santa sends the northern US more snow, again

15 million Americans are being affected by winter storms.
Getty Images
Motorists navigate a city street in white out conditions.

NORTHERN US – A winter storm blew in on Jan. 19 has been battering almost the entire northern United States and going down as far as Missouri and Mississippi.  It is estimated that over 115 million people are currently experiencing this winter storm, unfortunately causing 45 deaths.  The storm is causing major issues shutting down power lines and blocking road access on highways and main throughways.  In big cities like New York City and Washington DC, traffic from people trying to get to work are also struggling to fight against the snow causing most to work from home.

Over 100,000 residents in the Willamette Valley in Oregon currently are experiencing a power outage that many are saying will take up to two weeks before power is restored to residents and businesses. Oregon governor Tina Kotek declared a statewide emergency shutting down all government offices.  Oregon schools have also canceled all classes for the past 4 days due to worries of students having to drive in cold and dangerous icy conditions.  Residents without power will have to continue to survive without power for multiple more weeks.

Safe portable water in some cities has become a luxury as water outages and boil notices have gone into effect.  In Memphis, Tennessee water mains have broken due to the freezing temperatures causing the city’s water pressure to fall and now any water used should be boiled before being used.  In Jackson, Mississippi water pressure got so low that thousands of residents were left without water for a few days.  The police are investigating if social media posts claiming the city could not keep up with demand caused residents to fill up their bathtubs with water, possibly causing the shortage of water.

In some areas, snowfall ranges from 3 to almost half a foot in a single day, a new record that has never been broken before.  Currently many cities are offering services and help if needed to residents of affected cities.  The cold temperatures are expected to continue till the end of the week.