The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
LHS Teachers Retiring
LHS Teachers Retiring
Michelle BekhtelMay 24, 2024

STOCKTON- The 2024 school year is coming to an end, and with this short time left we must take time to recognize teachers that have chosen to...

Prom Alternatives

Prom is typically an event most high schoolers look forward to, usually it means we’re approaching the end of the year, upperclassmen are getting pushed closer to graduation, but not all of us choose to spend the night celebrating at a dance. Students don’t attend for a variety of reasons, some students simply don’t like the idea of attending a dance, some aren’t eligible, and some people just can’t get a ticket, but most still want to celebrate the night in some way. So, let’s explore some of the ways Trojans who didn’t attend Prom celebrated their nights. 

To start us off, Mattison Moreno told us about her “little home prom”. She was unable to get tickets in time but had already started buying pieces to her outfit and figured she could still dress up and enjoy the night. Her prom date hosted a prom at home where they, and some of their other friends, celebrated. Despite being just a small group, they said it actually enhanced their experience as they felt they had a more personal time with their friends. They all got dressed up, got some snacks and punch, cleared out space in the living room and listened to music. She told us, “It wasn’t a real prom, but I would say it was just as fun.” 

Next off, changing up the tradition of prom, C. Pride told us about their day trip to Modesto which turned into a nostalgia ride for their friends. With plans of going to an arcade in town, Pride and their friends ended up deciding to go to a place of some of their childhoods, John’s Incredible Pizza Co. “Some of my friends thought it’d be fun to go back to a place we’d gone to as kids since we’re moving on and graduating soon,” Pride said. They told us about how going with their group of friends ended up being perfect for John’s and their group games, they got to play bumper cars, laser tag, even hop on some small ride that spun you around. Some of their friends even won some jackpots and ended up leaving with plushies and prizes. When asked if they regretted not going to prom they told me, “I enjoyed my time away from campus and all the people I’ve spent the past 12 years with.”

Lastly, Isaac Rosas initially had no plans for his Prom day but got dragged out by his friends and told us about their day. Isaac and his friends originally sought out to go to Dave and Busters but were faced with a new rule that wouldn’t allow those in his group that were under 18 to enter. Despite this, the group split up between the people who could enter and those who couldn’t and they still managed to have a successful day. Those of his friends who were unable to go in with them still got to enjoy their day, they went to the mall and some of them even went off and joined Pride’s group. “Everybody else kind of scattered into their own because, you know, our first plan was a bust, but I wanted Dave & Buster’s so I went to Dave & Buster’s. #What’sProm?” -Isaac

As fun as tradition is, as long as you celebrate safely with your friends you’re going to have a fun time. If you weren’t able to attend Prom this year, or even at all throughout your years at Lincoln, you can still try and make the most of it.