The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
Samuel HelmsApril 30, 2024

Stockton: Former NFL superstar and accused murderer OJ Simpson died this past Wednesday, April 10, 2024.  His death sparked many mixed emotions...

California’s history with jaywalking (and why it’s absolutely ridiculous)

Should driver’s be at fault for an accident caused by jaywalking?

I remember it like it was yesterday…

On November 2nd of 2023, I was sitting at a rather uncomfortable and cramped terminal at the Department of Motor Vehicles working on my permit test, something I would need in order to legally operate a motor vehicle.  Some of the questions given were easy, while others were not as clear.  I struggled with one topic in particular, pedestrian traffic and how it applies to the rules of the road.  Now I was under the impression that vehicles, given they were driving through an intersection with no crosswalks, had the right of way over a pedestrian that was crossing the street.  I was wrong, very wrong.  I believe that I had over 10 of the 45 questions in the test incorrect, many of which had to deal with crosswalks and vehicle safety.  Upon later research I found out that California, one of the strictest states when it comes to motor vehicles mind you, had LEGALIZED Jaywalking as of January 1st, 2023.  

I was rather upset, seeing as I had wasted my time in the DMV’s various lines and chairs.  Putting up with the stale smell of sadness and past due registration notices.  Not only did I waste my own time, but also the time of my teachers, who had to take time out of their class schedule to catch up on what we did the day before.  The following days, all I could think about was the reason as to why one of the strictest safety oriented driving states allows for such a dangerous act to go without punishment.  Which is what led me to writing  this article.  

As I stated before, California is one of the strictest states when it comes to the rules of the road.  Though California still sees a staggering amount of accidents each year, many resulting in injury.  In 2022, over two-hundred thousand automobile crashes resulted in injury in California alone.  With such dangerously high statistics, why would it be a good idea to allow more possibly hazardous situations to occur with people being able to run right into the road at will in front of drivers, regardless of environmental factors?  This question will likely remain a mystery for me as with many decisions spearheaded by government officials, it’s usually for some strange reason that the general public doesn’t quite understand.  

Upon explaining to my parents the reason why I had failed, they also were stunned by the sudden change in the legality of Jaywalking.  They viewed it as an unsafe act and both a risk to the Jaywalker and drivers on the road. In 2022, there were a reported 504 vehicle-related fatalities that resulted from jaywalking in California.  Again I am left to wonder why such an act is now permitted in California and is protected under actual laws!  

Upon my second visit to the Department of Motor Vehicles I made it a top priority to always grant pedestrians the right of way, no matter the circumstances that were given to me.  Crossing a street without a marked crosswalk?  Pedestrians have the right-of-way.  Running into the middle of the street?  Pedestrians have the right-of-way.  I swear if the world was on fire and I hit someone in the street trying to escape the flames I would still be in the wrong.  If I ever find myself in a position of government, governor or whatnot, I’ll make it my priority to fix these ridiculous laws.  Mainly the one that allows for Jaywalking and that other law that allows bikers to cut lanes, because that is undoubtedly dangerous as an act as well.

View Comments (1)