The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
Samuel HelmsApril 30, 2024

Stockton: Former NFL superstar and accused murderer OJ Simpson died this past Wednesday, April 10, 2024.  His death sparked many mixed emotions...

Lincoln Boys Varsity Wins 1st Round of Playoffs

Lincoln vs Laguna Creek

Stockton- On Wednesday February 14th, Lincoln secured a win against Laguna Creek to send them to the second round of playoffs. With a competitive game the whole night, Lincoln fought hard throughout the ups and downs of the game.
Starting off the first quarter, emotions were high. This game was big for both teams as a lot was on the line, both teams fighting to make it to the next round. While the crowd was not as big as usual for Lincoln, they started off the game fast playing hard as always on defense and offense. But, they were met with their match with Laguna Creek as their players were fighting hard and working just as hard to score points. Even though Lincoln won the tip, the first point of the game was scored by Laguna Creek. The game continued at a rapid pace, laguna with a small lead throughout the whole first quarter. Lincoln, looking for a way to take the lead, switched from man to man defense to zone defense. This change helped to slow down Laguna Creek but by the end of the quarter they still had the lead 14-11.
Starting the second quarter both teams were still full of energy which caused many turnovers on both ends. Lincoln needed a big momentum change to help them which came from #0 Dylan Gonzalez who hit a crucial three at the 7:30 mark. From that point on Lincoln trailed behind by two waiting for their opportunity to take the lead. They continued to fight hard, working relentlessly on defense to stop shots from being taken. As always, #2 Donez Lindsey was playing a big role on defense, gaining more and more steals. With a sudden big dunk from #23 Quentin Thompson, the momentum had changed and was now in Lincoln’s hands as they took the lead for the rest of the quarter. By the end of the first half, the score was 24-17, Lincoln with the lead.
Both teams came back from halftime with a new mindset, both of them ready to fight for the win. Lincoln’s #24, Jagger Merolla played a big role in maintaining their lead, readying the ball early and ready to make plays on both offense and defense. Both teams had many fouls getting called on them, but Lincoln made sure when they stepped up to the line they made all of their free throws. While shots were being missed at certain points they fought hard for the rebound, making sure they were the ones who got the ball and put the shot back in. Both teams were still playing consistently and not much different from the first half, but Laguna Creek couldn’t quite catch up with Lincoln as the Trojans left the 3rd quarter with a lead of 37-31.
Time was of the essence for both teams as the clock was winding down and one team would come out on top very soon. Lincoln continued playing as hard as they could, Quentin Thompson making another big dunk in the start of the fourth. Lincoln had kept the lead ever since the 2nd quarter, and even with time left it felt as if Lincoln was slipping away with the win. Laguna Creek was still playing strong defense making it tough for Lincoln to find the holes on offense. But, halfway through the fourth, #4 Anthony Moore became an unstoppable force, racking up points and being a leader on the court to help secure the victory. With 15 seconds left Laguna Creek was fouling Lincoln hoping for a chance still but time was out, Lincoln couldn’t be stopped. The buzzer went off signifying Lincoln’s 53-47.
This game was intense and a hard one for both teams but the Trojans who had been the 7th seed going into it were too much for the 10th seed Laguna Creek. Now, they will go on to play in the second round, hoping to continue advancing as far as possible. If you still haven’t been able to catch one of these thrilling boys games be sure to keep a look out because you wont regret it!