The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
Samuel Helms April 30, 2024

Stockton: Former NFL superstar and accused murderer OJ Simpson died this past Wednesday, April 10, 2024.  His death sparked many mixed emotions...

Cambodian New Year

Cambodian New Year is the traditional celebration of the solar new year. It usually happens in April and the temple days are Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. During New Years, this is a time to be with family, dancing, going to the temple, and praying. We also wear our traditional clothing and usually put rice for our ancestors who passed away or for the monks when we are praying. I love Cambodian New Years and it is great to represent your culture and appreciate our ancestors.

There are locations in Stockton to go visit the temple. Last weekend, I went to the temple on Friday and Sunday. On Friday, we didn’t stay long but on Sunday we went to a temple in Stockton and there was a lot of traffic since it was the last day. My family and I wear our traditional clothing to the temple but you don’t have to but most do. It consists of a skirt and a top for girls and for guys they wear a Khmer button down shirt. My siblings and parents and I were waiting for an hour. Some people were even cutting people in the traffic and going in the wrong lane just to get there. When we arrived there, it was all muddy because the day before that it was raining and cars were even getting stuck. We walked around the temple to see the many different stands that were there. There was an area that had stands that sold boba, jewelry, beef stick and sugar cane drinks, desserts, traditional clothing stands, toys, and Cambodian umbrellas. It was extremely crowded there but then we walked around and looked at the many statues. There were different varieties of Buddha statues. There was one laying on the side, one was holding on to a horse carriage, one praying, one with lotus flowers, etc. There is also a place you go into to pray that looks like a house and you have to take off your shoes and sit the whole time while the monks chant. After praying, you can put rice for the monks. Lastly, there is an area where there is a stage with a band and many of the adults like to dance to Khmer music. After walking around 3 times it got tiring so we left before the traffic got bad. The temple doesn’t close until eight but we left at five. The temple is open to the public and anyone is welcome to come; you don’t have to be Cambodian. 

At home, my grandma likes to decorate our house for New Years. Usually, she would have a table in our living room room with a Buddha statue and put food like rice, fruits, and Khmer desserts. She also leaves makeup and a mirror there because we leave it there for our past ancestors. She also leaves a picture of my uncle who passed away on the table. This is a way to honor our ancestors. 

Cambodian New Years is a great way to celebrate our ancestors and meet new people at the temple. It’s very important to represent your culture. It’s also just fun,  feels healing and peaceful when you are going to the temple and everyone is able to participate during this time!