The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

The Lincolnian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
Samuel HelmsApril 30, 2024

Stockton: Former NFL superstar and accused murderer OJ Simpson died this past Wednesday, April 10, 2024.  His death sparked many mixed emotions...

Seniors, the end is near… make preparations.

One Size Does Not Fit All

“That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard! (brief pause) No. .  no!” -Charles Perez II

STOCKTON: Thinking about your post graduation plans? You might want to hear what a few of this year’s seniors at Lincoln High School have to say!

Life after graduation.  You’d be lying if you’re a high school senior and said it never crossed your mind.  Much like any other big decision, people just can’t seem to agree on the best course of action to take.  Four-year colleges, community colleges, trade schools; everyone has their own viewpoint (and some feel very strongly about theirs).  This controversy leads to the question of what opinions the seniors of Lincoln High have toward the matter.  Through four interviews, varying perspectives can be seen.  

1. Seth Ebio: Aspiring Nurse/Chef

A common plan among students, Ebio plans to begin with two years at San Joaquin Delta College, Stockton’s local community college.  Aiming for either a career in nursing or in a culinary-related field, he is also interested in pursuing a political science degree at some point in his educational experience.  In terms of four year colleges, Ebio is interested in UC Berkeley and UCLA, the former of which he toured alongside UC Davis.  He plans to try out for scholarships once he is at community college.  

“Do you think that everyone should go to college?”

EBIO: “No.  Everyone has different needs.  Not everyone can manage the costs of going to college. ”

A perspective gaining prevalence in recent years, Ebio acknowledges the high costs of attending college, even in terms of transferring after two years of community college.  As Texas Southmost College mentions, “The cost to attend a university has been rising steadily, and the vast majority of universities charge thousands of dollars per semester – leaving students with a large amount of debt after they graduate,” (tsc. edu).  

1. Charles Perez II: Aspiring Experimental Physicist

Having enrolled in several AP Classes throughout his high school career, including AP Physics 1, Perez II is strategically getting ready for life post graduation.  Already started with his college applications, he has taken the initiative to pursue the colleges of his choice.  Perez II is interested in Stanford, UC Davis and UC Berkeley, among others, where he plans to get a degree in physics.  In terms of whether or not he will go straight to a four year or first to Delta, it once again comes down to money; Perez II is hoping to be eligible for a scholarship at a four year university.  With regards to the main question at hand, he had some choice words to say:

PEREZ II: “That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard! (brief pause) No. .  no!”

It is quite apparent to Perez II that while he plans to go to college, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the right choice for everyone.  

1. Brookin Preece: Aspiring Physical Therapist

Unlike many seniors, Preece has a thorough plan for after graduation.  After having played softball for multiple years in high school, she plans to take advantage of her enjoyment of the sport to play for Delta College.  Following this, Preece plans to transfer to the University of the Pacific, where she is interested in pursuing a degree in Kinesiology, as well as the two year physical therapy program UOP offers following a four year degree.  However, UOP is not the only four year college that she is interested in.  Preece has previously toured UC Davis and Santa Clara as well, and she plans to tour Delta in the near future.  She is interested in applying for scholarships, and has also begun her application process for college in general.  

PREECE: “Yes, I think everyone should go to college.  I think it’s good to have like leverage in terms of getting paid better than some who may not have a college degree and doing better in the job market so you have that college experience. ” 

1. Kaitlyn Yep: Aspiring Nurse

Yep has toured UCLA, but it is far from the only school she’s interested in.  UC Davis, UC Berkeley and California ivy leagues in general have caught her attention.  With a transcript consisting of seven AP classes from a wide variety of subject fields, she has proven to be quite academically oriented.  As for her plans after graduation, she is interested in a school with a nursing program.  While she may begin with a nursing program in Delta before transferring, it is possible that she may go straight to attending a program at a four year college.  She is interested in scholarships, and has found Lincoln High school to be a readily available resource in regards to them. 

YEP: “I think that everyone has a different path in life.  For some, it is to go to a college for four years, while for some, it’s to get a job immediately.  It all depends on the person and the kind of life they are trying to lead. ”

It is clear that among seniors of Lincoln High, there is no single consensus on the best path following high school graduation.  While opinions differ, there are some common messages to take into consideration.  Many students stressed the idea of individual choice; that one should decide what is best for oneself, rather than following a preset path.  As highlighted, when it comes down to it, a lot of factors regarding post-graduation plans involve money.  Scholarships, tuition fees and job salaries are all something that must be considered.  At the end of the day, for those who don’t know what to do, taking advice from others and applying your own perspective appears to be a good starting point.